Tuesday 25 September 2012

The rating explained

As I mentioned in my first entry, one of the reasons I wanted to add a new blog to my resume was trying to find a way to score movies in a way that the large majority of them would have score in the middle of the scale. So for that I first needed to find a way to approach movies with that in mind. Curiously that came with another hobby where I ultimately classify the value of things by trying to find out if I felt that quality of the product was worth the price what I've paid. A simply yes as an answer for that was enough to keep me happy and so I started to apply it to other things in life, including movies. And to my surprise, that was the answer I was looking.

My new approach to movies is simple: Have I felt that the price I've paid for it was worth it? If so, the movie score was the middle of the scale at least and what I found was that for the large majority, it wasn't better that that. I had found the basis! All I needed was to perfect it.

So, in a nutshell, I will only score movies that I've seen in a movie theater and not others. I'll try to keep up with the movies that are premiering, but sometimes I may rate older movies because these may take a while to appear on the theaters or the independent ones may sometimes have sessions to older movies and I may want to rate them. Or maybe I feel like rating a movie that I've seen a while back, but I'm expecting to rate mostly movies I've seen recently.

Movies will be rated on a scale from 1 to 5 stars. As I've explained above, 3 stars will be given to a movie whose quality matches the ticket price. This means that a 2 star movie doesn't worth the price payed. A 1, doesn't even worth the time spent watching it (I don't expect to find many with this rating). A 4 star is a movie that I find to be of superior quality, above the average. I will also score this on movies that I've come across that arose positive feeling in me somehow and it will be explained in the review. I may also score this to movies I may not like as much but recognize that have higher that average quality. This may sound incoherent but the truth is that there are some movie are very good but I simply can't seem to like them. The classical example for me is Fight Club. Finally I've only give 5 stars to movies I find to be master pieces. The ones I would like to save if the earth ought to be destroyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment